You can register your foals at several Belgian Studbooks at BWP: Belgian Warmblood – BWP, Belgian Riding Pony (BRp), the Connemara Pony Belgium, the Dartmoor Pony Belgium and the Harness Horse Belgium.
Your horse will receive the official BWP passport after registration with BWP. This passport is much more than just an identity card. It is a certificate of registration in the official studbook and a quality label for horses and ponies. Horses with a BWP passport guarantee quality and are highly regarded in the equestrian world.
Here you can find all practical information on foal registration at BWP, BRp, Connemara, Harness Horse and Dartmoor.
Registering your foal with BWP is very simple. Follow this roadmap and receive your horse’s BWP passport.
- Register your foal through the BWP foal registration at this website.
- You will receive a confirmation e-mail.
- BWP registers the data of your foal and will allocate a unique life number.
- You will receive an e-mail with all relevant information and an invoice from the BWP.
For foals in Belgium:
- You will receive an e-mail from Horse ID with the details for the online payment.
- In case you not yet have an account, you will be asked to create an account.
- Your veterinarian will receive the identification file from Horse ID after your payment is received by Horse ID.
- You set up a meeting with the veterinarian.
- The veterinarian visits and makes the identification. He/she also takes the necessary hair samples.
- The veterinarian sends the identification file digitally to HorseID.
The hair samples of foal and dam should be sent to BWP - Waversebaan 99 - 3050 Oud-Heverlee. Both samples should be placed separately in a sealed plastic bag with the name and UELN number of the sample. For pony foals, it is necessary to send the original stud card by mail to BWP.
- HorseID processes all data - BWP sends the hair samples to the lab.
- Once all necessary info is available, DNA approved and invoices paid, BWP sends the passport. Horse ID provides the confirmation of encoding.
For foals from abroad:
- Contact the veterinarian to make a description of the markings, takes the necessary hair samples and will micro-chip the foal.
- Please send all info to BWP.
- The data will be processed by the computer.
- The hair samples will be send to the lab.
- When all the necessary information is complete, the DNA is approved and the invoices paid, the passport will be send by BWP and Horse ID sends you the confirmation of the encoding.
You have to register your foal within six months of birth, preferably as soon as possible after the foal’s birth, so the secretariat has all data available in case the foal will compete or will be auctioned.
Register your foal after birth via our foal registration, a very simple and fast tool. The registration process will start immediately.
Keep these focus areas in mind when you register your foal with BWP:
Registering the foal
The data you enter initially upon registration are the most important! Check if all data are correct. It is not possible to change the data afterwards. Data can only be changed by explicit request or court ruling.
- Is the name of the foal spelled correctly?
- Are the correct breeder and owner mentioned in the form?
All BWP-foals will undergo a parentage verification.
- Is the result of the DNA research negative? The breeder will be informed and we will ask for new hair samples. A second parentage verification will be executed. The passport of the foal will only be issued if the result of the DNA parentage verification is positive.
Suggestions names for foals
No inspiration to find a name for your foal?
Every year studbooks decide with what initial the name of new horses and ponies should be. The name of a BWP foal start with the initial ‘V’ in 2021. The name of a BRp foal starts with ‘C’ this year. Below you find a list with examples for inspiration.
Discover all our rates for foal registration.
Every studbook has several conditions for foal registration.